Considering how this year has been, I thought hard and long (well, since last morning at least) on what I was thankful for. Fortunately for the sake of this annual post that I do since 2 years, I came up with something.
- Thankful that the year wasn’t any more crappy and lousy than it has been.
- Thankful that I am actually walking around fine and haven’t lost my leg completely.
- Thankful that I still hold all my mental faculties together despite a few incidents and one in particular.
- Thankful that I am sitting here wide awake and alive in my home (while my family sleeps upstairs) and miles away from the Mumbai craziness.
- Thankful that the year will be over in exactly 35 days.
There’s a sadness that’s descended down on me since yesterday morning and I’ve been staving off as I dozed off to sleep. I believe it completely consumed me in the meanwhile, coz there’s this dark cloud all around. (To think 2 days ago I was jumping with joy. O lord, am I PMSing? er, maybe not, but it’s just easier that way. Blame the hormones.)
Yes, so what I really am giving thanks to is:
I am thankful to be alive in this day and age and to wake up to the crisp cold Fall air with my family and friends safe and secure. Despite me not being a hugely God-fearing religious person, I am reminded of this prayer that I have said every morning for 13 years since when I was 4 years old at school in Madras. I recite it now so the spirit of the words and the faith it gave me those years comes back to me, as I feel I need it most.
Our Father in Heaven,
Holy be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done on earth
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.